Saturday, March 27, 2010

Standing at the Door of a Train compartment on a Dark Dark Night...

Hiya Phantoms,


Last week my gang of seven guys and I made a trip to Nagercoil to one of my friends, Jerin's house. We started off on Friday Night by train. It was by far the most exciting Train Journey I ve ever had. The Coimbatore - Nagercoil express was speeding into the dark and silent wilderness disturbing the calm all around. I walked upto the door to my compartment and stood looking out for quite a while and recorded all the thoughts that crossed my mind to share with you guys.

Let me start by telling you a fact that all of you must be well aware of " Train Travel is AMAZING"

It was such a pleasant night on the train, the warm summer air gently brushed against me as its calm was ripped by the Train. It was very pleasant and everything just seemed perfect. Now let me haphazardly describe the important events of that journey.

Unlike in the Morning nothing is clear at Night. All those weird dark shapes cast by trees, shrubs, and bushes leave a lot to our imagination. I'd love to traverse the same way back again but by daylight to check how far my imagination and reality coincides.

I saw innumerable villages pass me by and wondered," Are all these people even aware of this soul watching them go by? What must they be all upto in their homes? What dreams must be playing in the eyes of those asleep?"

Then all of a sudden another train whhoooooooshed past me in the opposite direction frightening me out of my senses. Although I stood well inside my train safely, the sudden countenance of the other train instilled fear in my mind. Otherwise nothing about the dark outside seemed to scare me.

I could feel the warm summer night work itself on me. Looking down I could see how beautifully and meticulously the various tracks joined and separated through the light in my train. These train drivers must be really intellingent folks to find their way in this impossible jungle of train tracks.

The train was flying by with such speed and the mildly cool summer air gently touched my face. The canopy of stars above only added to this beautiful feeling. Soon, I had to go back into my compartment as people wanted the door closed as they were falling asleep. And also because the door is close to the toilet and I couldn't bear to see all those sheepish looks of those who came to use it on seeing me.

Luckily I had to fight with none to take the lower berth and for long I was looking out of the window. And trust me , "NOTHING can be more pleasurable than lying down on the lower berth of a train with your window open and listening to Shreya Ghoshal and Sonu Nigam sing Piyu Bole while watching the scenaries fly by."

Of all that i could see outside my window the palm trees (especially the nongu trees) captured my eye the most. They give a a poignant and beautiful silhouette feel to the entire scene. To me they represented Beauty in all her simplicity.

A little cranky incident, there was this one man standing near our speeding train's track and watching it intently at such an unearthly hour. I just wanted to shout out " Hey! I am watching you too" - but , thank god, I had the good sense to control my mouth.

Two kids were travelling next to us and they were so excited about travelling by train. Probably their first time.They were jumping all over their sleeper seats. One of them was with the mother and the other with the father. Their enthusiasm was so contagious!

Now the kid with the mother also comes down wanting to sleep next to the window forcing their dad to to sleep in such a weird poise with half his bodyoutside the seat. "Don't be too happy girls, once you dose off one of you will go back up", my mind was telling the two kids.

Oh my God!!!! The mother of the two kids is sitting and texting someone on her mobile while her husband is struggling with the two excited kids. Wonder what she is upto :-O ! Haha!! Truly, people-watching is such a nice pastime.

We pass so many small but beautiful temples built so close to the track. Invariably the doors to the sanctum are closed and there is just one light in the mandapams. I couldn't help wondering what Devi inside would be doing- sleeplessly guarding her devotees or would she be fast asleep herself?

Soon I pass out from the tiredness of the beautiful day that it had been. And on waking, the next morning, I shifted to the empty side lower berth. The Sun hadn't yet come out but was announcing his arrival from Far Far Away. We passed by places untouched by the ravages of ultra-modernization. We passed by innumerable lotus-ponds blooming with our National Flower.

Now that much is about our journey to Nagercoil and now let me quickly in a few words explain the Sunday Night journey back!

First it was almighty cold and I had to wake up so many times in the night and adjust my position or try in vain to control the cold by shutting the window. I was at the side- lower berth this time.

The moon was just outside my window offering to travel with me and keep me company! The reflection of the moon suddenly and randomly appeared on the ground exposing the numerous ponds in the area which were camouflaged in the dark. Oh Nagercoil and its surrounding areas are such beautiful places even by night. And this time my freinds too joined me near the door those few minutes I stood by it!

I just want to get into a train and have a never-ending journey. I'll be able survive even without food and water when on a train, i guess!

Thats it Phantoms about Standing at the door of a compartment on dark dark night(s).

Bye for now!

Have a great Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do u say????